Monday, June 23, 2008

Geekly Gurlz

The two of us posting under the name of rioTgirl first became friends by noting the common interests we share. Namely, comic books, Role-Playing Games, video games, geek-culture, stuff like that. I have noticed in my time online talking with other Trans* peeps of all stripes and gender identifications that LOTS of us share some or most of these interests. It could be the fact we are all online, and there is a higher concentration of dorks/nerds/geeks here - but I think there may be something else.

Looking at RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons, I know the idea of playing a different role (yes most often a female one) helped me to process through my identity. Like I was cross dressing, but only for pretend. I also think the urge to escape is very real for trans*people and what else would you call it when Yavandarra, Elf Warrior Maiden, smites an Orc horde?

One of my early defining moments in my trans identity was with my gaming group. I had made countless female characters in a variety of games. My buddies had actually started to make it a running joke. To show them I was just as capable of playing a male character, I rolled up a guy at the start of a new game. I played him for a few weeks correcting my fellow players' use of pronouns (they kept calling me "she" and "her") and finally in a fit of gender-fueled resignation ... jumped off a cliff, or I think actually threw a spear at a monster that exploded killing my very last boy character. It was cute that these guys, some of my best pals, couldn't see me playing a man. I think that gaming allowed me my outlet for my Trans identity. I have never played male in a video game if I had the choice - just never occurred to me really.

I also know that some of the first online groups were Trans discussion BBSs.. way back in the day. I know that some of the early people who developed the technology that gave us the Interweb were trans. How delightfully geekly is that??!!

5 comments:

Mark said...

Hmmm I had a friend many years ago who always used female characters in D&D, and on the old WWIV BBS's, from Comics and other things, He did start to transition, and the last I heard from him/her, he had just come out to her parents. Her dad didn't take it too well, but her mom did. Several of our mutual friends didn't understand, but I surprised her by not having a problem with it. Unfortunately we've lost touch since I moved to Texas.

rioTgirl said...

and the reports of geekly T-girls keep comming...

Thanks Mark *hugs*

Mark said...

I honestly don't think of it as geeky. I think of it as normal. Some people consider "ME" a geek because of my interests, such as anime, making chain maile and medieval weapons, computers, ham radio and usually have my nose in a book. So I guess I'm a geek :)

rioTgirl said...

Umm.. you *guess* you are a geek?? I'd say full-on robo-geek. I lurve geeks tho <3

Mark said...

Well at least someone lurves me :)