Thursday, June 19, 2008

I have been looking at the legal requirements for changing one's sex. They vary from state to state, and I'll get into some specific requirements later. One thing that I have noticed and that is really bothering me is that in most state, and countries for that matter, the requirement to be legally officially recognized as a woman is to have SRS (Sex Reassignment Surgery). The standards are different for transmen probably because surgical options are pretty limited.

What this does is create a class of woman who is kept from attaining the status that she is living. This impacts unfairly poor women, young women, old women, women with illnesses, and women of color. Not to mention women who don't mind or rather enjoy their penis.

This also creates another class of people, namely "mental health professionals", who have the right to deny a woman her legal status by denying her surgical intervention. I have heard so many stories of women who were denied SRS because they were "too old", or didn't "pass well", or didn't exhibit "qualities congruent with their target gender" - that is they didn't act like a hyper femme stereotypical woman.

Economics must be the motivation here. Since the people doing the gatekeeping KNOW that gender is a function of identity and not plumbing. The people who hold the surgical key charge soooooooooooooooo much for it. Really, it is time for our doctors and "care givers" to get off their collective asses and help us change these restrictions so that myself and my sisters can do things like get jobs and simply live our lives.

3 comments:

riftgirl said...

I remember attending a lecture where Dr. Toby Meltzer was a guest speaker and all I could fixate on was the TONS and TONS of gold jewelry he was wearing. It made me kinda sick to my stomach.

My friend Julie says, "Wealth = stealth; poor = whore." It's really unfortunate that transitioning is as much a matter of economics as it is desire/need.

Add to that, ALL the gatekeepers and hoops to be jumped through. Plus, I was considering yesterday that one of the reasons why being trans might still be listed as "crazy" on the books is because of GRS. Without that designation, wouldn't we finally be free to make our own determinations? And I'm sure insurance companies would fret over that one as well.

We need reform. And anarchy.

Anonymous said...

This girl (me) would rather find a way around "The System" than jump through hoops to get a permission slip. My HRT experience didn't involve endless Therapy; I went to a doctor recommended by one of my T sisters, he talked to me for a while, and started me off on a "beginners" dosage. For cosmetic stuff, I chose Ousterhout over Spiegal 'cuz Spiegal wanted a letter from a Therapist. And if I want SRS, I'll go to Thailand where such "permission slips" aren't required.

Real Life Test, huh? I've been living my whole adult life as my gender preference. I read an account where H. Benjamin would approve "candidates" based on if they were pretty enough for his tastes. Says a lot about the "professionals" that are here to help us.

And I don't like having to go through a system that thinks that I'm "damaged" or compromised and approaches my "cure" that way.

Grumble, grumble.

Mark said...

The idea that some individual with a self inflated opinion of themselves are allowed to decide who can get access to what to many could be life saving medical assistance is repugnant to me. I used to be in one of the TS/TG chatrooms quite often, and actually wound up counseling several women through the PM/IM function as they didn't want the moderators to know they were feeling suicidal, as they didn't want them to try to perform an intervention. Many time they talked about having to go to Thailand to get SRS, or to Mexico to get HT, as Dr's wouldn't help them with their transition without months if not years of psych counseling. Several of them still have my cell #, and I get calls when they are down, and I'm glad they call me when they need someone to talk to.