Friday, July 18, 2008

Good Help is Hard to Find

I feel truly lucky that I found my Therapist. I went to her for a host of non-trans stuff (that ended up being HIGHLY trans-related stuff) like body-image, self-esteem, and an almost debilitating anxiety. She has been most helpful in my transition mainly because her primary focus isn't transitioning.

Her focus is on getting her clients in a position where they are most comfortable with their own body. If that means diet, or refraiming how we look at a specific body part, or looking at the ways we are made to feel imperfect, or making surgical changes. She has and had clients with GID/GD so it isn't like she is unfamiliar with the issues.

My therapist has helped me to start to love the body I currently posses, so that I can love the body I posses regardless of what changes I opt for the future. No pressure to do anything or OT to do anything. It was her help that allowed me my most helpful epiphany...

I don't HAVE to change anything. I only need to change things I want to change. My friends and family all to one degree or another know I'm trans, they accept this as fact and aren't dependant on visual cues to affirm my gender.

Some days I get so bogged down with transitioning - the costs (both emotional and economic) and how I'm going to do what "needs" done. But really, I am lucky - I have love and respect and understanding just because!

3 comments:

riftgirl said...

I LOVED my two therapists, Will and Omar. Not to mention, they were both hotties. ;-)

rioTgirl said...

I seriously can't believe ho lucky I got with her. Tho, she's not really my type - she is kinda cute.

riftgirl said...

Eye candy's always a good thing to have smattered along with the Kleenex and confessions. ;-)